Here is a collection of mistakes with suggested corrections/improvements (below) from a practice IELTS speaking test with one of my students:
Grammar (answers below)
Check you can correct the grammar mistakes in these sentences.
- I don’t know what is it
- Maybe people don’t really enjoy to buy
- The market sell
- That are the stuff men like.
- [Local people generally save money on food,] so they went to the wet market.
- Price is
- It sell different kind of stuff.
- [If the market closed down,) it will be a pity but I will go to another one.
- One time, I go to Victoria Peak.
- Now, when I grow up,
- I went overseas to study. When I return, …
- [I like to read about some famous person and] how they become
- If I have free time, then I will like to …
- with other peoples
- Even I don’t buy anything,
- more happier
- … with a lot of different peoples.
Pronunciation (answers below)
These are what I heard. Check you can say them correctly.
- Doze books are about …
- My mudder told me to learn it.
- At the market, there are a lot of tranny products.
- Take spots for example.
- Wunning Man
- Spot games
- Bought games
Phraseology (answers below)
These may or may not be grammatically correct, but can you say them in a more elegant way?
. 1a. Now, when I grow up,
. 1b. I keep my hobby.
. 2. From my impression,
. 3. That’s the stuff that men like to buy.
. 4. What is your question, again?
. 5. Take sports first.
. 6. … maintain a good body.
Collocations (answers below)
Try to correct or improve the following word combinations:
- … near to the MTR station.
- People like doing some indoor games.
- [By playing sports, you can get] healthy immediately.
- social circle will be broader
Other suggestions (answers below)
Which of the following would you say?
- more healthy vs healthier
- more happy vs happier
This free content is for members only. Please log in if you have a membership account (login box below for mobile users), or click here to join for free.