en English

常見錯誤 Are you a Hong Kong People?

I’m a Hong Kong people” is bad English because the word ‘people’ is a plural noun – it can’t be used with ‘a’.

Correcting the grammar to “a Hong Kong person” still sounds incorrect, in the same way “a UK person” does.

As Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China, you could say:

(Adjective) I’m Chinese.

However, in this context, it refers to being a Chinese national as opposed to a Chinese citizen (a mainland Chinese person).

Of course, you could say “I’m from Hong Kong”.

Other commonly used expressions include:

(Adjective) I’m Hong Kong Chinese. (Formal. Interpreted to mean that your ethnicity is Chinese, and you have permanent residency status in Hong Kong)

(Adjective) I’m Hong Kongese. (Less common. Short form of above)

(Noun. Most common) I’m a Hong Konger. (most ethnically neutral, and means that you have Hong Kong permanent residency status)

(Adjective. Common colloquial) I’m Hongkie. (Slang, meaning you are from Hong Kong and your ethnicity is Chinese)

People from other countries…

People from Australia, apart from saying “I’m from Australia”, would say:

(Adjective) I’m Australian. / I’m Aussie. (colloquial)

(Noun) I’m an Australian. / I’m an Aussie. (colloquial) / I’m an Australian citizen (formal)

…from China:

(Adjective) I’m Chinese.

(Noun) I’m a Chinese citizen. (formal)

…from USA:

(Adjective) I’m American.

(Noun) I’m an American. / I’m an American citizen / I’m a US citizen. (formal)

…from the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales):

(Adjective) I’m British.

(Noun) I’m a Brit. (colloquial) / I’m a UK citizen (formal)

(Adjective to specify the specific country of origin) I’m English / Scottish / Irish / Welsh.

People from a particular city…

…from New York:

a New Yorker

…from London:

a Londoner

For other cities, you can search online. For example: “What do you call people from Sydney?” You will see the answer is ‘Sydneysider’

Leave a Reply